Settlement Planning Attorney
Personal Injury Structured Settlement Attorney
People who achieve monetary settlements have limited options for preserving and extending their funds over time. One of the best options, and one that is often overlooked, is that of the structured settlement.
Davis Settlement Partners, located in New Braunfels, Texas, serves clients in San Antonio, Austin and across the country. The firm has many years of experience in assisting clients who have achieved favorable settlements as a result of personal injury claims, wrongful death claims, workers' compensation claims and other legal actions.
The firm has helped these clients by evaluating their circumstances and discussing the various financial vehicles available to them. Often, a structured settlement is favored because of the unique advantages it offers.
Why Choose A Structured Settlement?
A structured settlement differs from a "normal" settlement in that it does not involve a single, lump-sum cash payment.
Instead, a structured settlement consists of two components. The first component is a cash payment to provide for immediate needs. The second component is that the remainder of the settlement is paid to the plaintiff by installments. A life insurer's annuity policy or reinsurance policy is the payer.
What Are The Advantages Of A Structured Settlement?
Structured settlements often generate better returns than competing options. If you know you will have bills to pay over many years, a structured settlement can ensure that money is available to you without the worry of what happens in the stock market or changes in interest rates.
- Tax-free payments, including interest earned
- Guaranteed rate of return
- Guaranteed future payments
- No fees or ongoing management expenses
- Low risk/low stress
- Government benefits are not affected if properly designed
- Protection from lawsuits and creditors
- Protection from overspending by settlement beneficiary
- Can be used in conjunction with other funding mechanisms, including Special Needs Trusts and Medicare Set-Aside Trusts
- With new and future tax increases and means testing of future benefits, it is good to keep in mind that structured settlement annuities are not reported; they are exempt from creditors and excellent tools for retirement and estate planning. Annuities are recommended by investment advisors because having a guaranteed income stream will give you the freedom to take a little more risk elsewhere.
What Experts Say About Structured Settlements
"In addition to tax-free income, one of the great benefits of a structured settlement is that you can choose to go back to work after your accident and still receive all your payments in full." – The Hon. Tony Coelho, Disability Rights Advocate
"Structured settlements protect the needy from the greedy. They are the ultimate safeguards to guarantee the long-term financial health of people harmed in accidents." – Joseph Jamail, "Trial Lawyer of the Century"
Contact Davis Settlement Partners To Learn More
To discuss your options for creating a structured settlement, contact our settlement planning lawyer today.
To read more about structured settlements and their benefits, please refer to our general information page.